Cheaper IP external camera recommendations?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Flasheart

Cheaper IP external camera recommendations?

Post by Flasheart »

I like axis, I really do - but their cheapest external camera, even with a budget enclosure weighs in at over £500

So I was wondering if anyone would recommend any of these cheaper IP cameras coming from the east? Getting technical data, or even a manufacturer, for some of these things is impossible, so I'd like personal "I've actually used it!" type replies, please!

Ideally something like an analogue bullet camera, fully weathersealed, that will live on PoE and provide b&w or colour 640x480 @ 5fps and of course give out jpg or mjpeg suitable for Zoneminder. If it can't do PoE, then it needs to be 5vdc or 12vdc as I'll be using splitters.

I'm not even that concerned about an iris. I've had a normal axis 205 in exposed sunlight for 2.5 years without losing any detail or colour, so I'm not convinced irises are worth the extra cost.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

I buy from China. The only way is to buy a lot of different ones and test them. Many will not work. They may also change in between shipments... Fun stuff.
aduljr

Post by aduljr »

so we do not have some sort of thread of recommended cameras?
gsg5forum

Post by gsg5forum »

I have started using the panasonic BL-C140a which is outdoor rated, has POE injector included for approx $175 USD. No PTZ or night sight but so far has performed pretty well.
Cheap .22 fun ... http://gsg5forum.com