Wintv: multiple channels possible? How about channel 65?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Btoo

Wintv: multiple channels possible? How about channel 65?

Post by Btoo »

Strange question I know but I have an ON-Q camera stuck on channel 65. I am also trying to figure out if I can connect multiple modulated channels via the Wintv-Go card to Zoneminder.
I have read in the forums how to do this with a 4 port card/with one chip, so does it follow I can do the same with a single connection?
That being: use /dev/video1...4 or more in the ZM configuration for monitors.

I hacked the php script for channel selection to add up to 65 cameras, but this did not work. I did get it working by using channel 0 and then changing the actual channel on the card with tvtime.

Do I need to dump the "stuck" camera or the card (for a multi port)?

cordel

Post by cordel »

ZM does not support tuners natively and honestly I have thought about it a time or two myself. The performance obviously would not be great switching between cams and 65 of them would likely take some time to go through for sure using just one tuner. If I was to take a SWAG at it, I'd say you might be able to get at most 15fps which would come out to 1 frame every 4.3 seconds on each cam using 65 assuming that the tuner cam switch and sync even that fast which is likely pretty hopeful.

It would certainly depend on the tuner and how fast the PLL can lock in to demodulate the channel, since watching TV does not involve rapid channel changing, I'm sure the time and money to design such a tuner are not top priority for the manufactures of those cards or the tuners. It is more likely minimal has been done just to pass FCC regulations with focus on keeping the cost low.
Btoo

Post by Btoo »

So Zoneminder wont change channels natively, okay. If I could get that ablility I would only do 3 or 4 cameras. My one camera which has a built in modulator uses dip switches to change the channel but is "stuck" and doesnt respond to the dip switch settings. For now it is stuck on channel 65.
Thanks