Need help with new ZoneMinder installation. $1,000 budget.

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Sierradump

Need help with new ZoneMinder installation. $1,000 budget.

Post by Sierradump »

I live in a small town that recently had our grocery store burglarized. Theifs cut the power and phone line and did a SMASH and GRAB. As a result I have been asked to implement a surveillance system. I have used subscription services before (such as connexed.com) but the store has a very limited budget and can't afford monthly service fees.

I found ZoneMinder with a quick google search and it looks EXACTLY like the connexed.com setup (without the offsite storage).

Was wondering if you all could help me pick out hardware and pointers on getting the system setup! I plan to use battery backups on the cameras and server to protect against the power being cut off. ALSO I will be running 2 "motion detector" lights - also on battery backup to illuminate the cameras field of view should intruders come in...

WHAT IS REQUIRED:

* 2 PTZ Cameras (1 aimed at cash register, 2nd pointed at front door)
* 1 Fixed camera (pointed at back door)
* 1 Server/PC for Zoneminder

I plan to use the TrendNet TV-IP400 for the PTZ cameras and a DLINK DCS-900 (rev. A) for the fixed camera.

QUESTIONS:

1.) The cameras will need to be mounted on the ceiling. It looks like the TrendNet cameras are made to sit on tabletops/counters - if I mount them upside down on a ceiling, is there a feature that will adjust for this so that the image is not UPSIDE DOWN? Is this feature built into the camera OR zoneminder?

2.) What kind of server/pc specs are required for a ZoneMinder system? Would an AMD 1700 with 768mb Ram be sufficient?

Any other information or tips would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Open to alternate suggestions for cameras as well!

Thanks to all in advance!
timcraig

Post by timcraig »

1)
Zoneminder supports rotating the camera images so that an upside down camera will look right side up.

2)
I don't have any experience with using ZoneMinder on IP cameras so I can't say if your CPU has enough horse power.

Memory wise, you might be okay with the memory you have as long as you are not running on a high frame rate. I had 4 analog cameras at 640x480 with running on motion detection mode a combined a total of ~20 fps on an Ubuntu server system (no UI) with 1 gig of RAM.

I'd say give your system a try. If you know how to build systems, you can easily get put together a cheap dual-core system (which should more than enough to handle 3 IP cams) for around $300. It's so nice the Zoneminder runs on an OS that you can download for free. :)

I have a APC BR800BK as a UPS. I have a Pent4 2.8 Ghz, 3 gigs of RAM, PV-155 running ZM with 8 analog cameras (7 using modect at total of ~16 fps, 1 monitoring at 2.5 fps) hooked up it. I also have and 6 cameras (4 of them night vision) hooked up to the UPS. The battery charge time indicator (which is pretty accurate when I did some power out tests) shows that the battery life is about 30-33 minutes. Keep in mine Pentium4 was a terrible heat & power hog, A CPU with better power usage-to-performance ratio will probably get a longer battery life.
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

I had a quick look at connexed.com , their demo shots don't look like zm to me, similar yes, but not the same.

ZM will work with just about any camera setup, before you buy look why not search the archives for known working hardware. I always advise people to use a bttv capture card if possible, again search the archives for known working ones.

There is a feature in the setup to achieve what you want, Orientation under the source tab when configuring the source for any camera.

More ram would be better.

I've a live CD you might want to try, easy to use, no installation required.
Sierradump

Post by Sierradump »

hushpuppy wrote: I always advise people to use a bttv capture card if possible, again search the archives for known working ones.

I've a live CD you might want to try, easy to use, no installation required.
You reccomend a BTTV capture card? I believe this is a card that allows Analog CCTV cameras to run through a computer? What cameras provide better frame rates- Analog CCTV or IP cams?

I had previously setup a system with IP cams and was very happy with it. Never tried Analog cameras as it seems like "older technology" but I may be mistaken?

CAN ANYONE RECCOMEND SOME GOOD BRAND/MODEL OF CAMERAS OR BTTV CAPTURE CARDS?
cordel

Post by cordel »

Sierradump wrote: You reccomend a BTTV capture card? I believe this is a card that allows Analog CCTV cameras to run through a computer? What cameras provide better frame rates- Analog CCTV or IP cams?

I had previously setup a system with IP cams and was very happy with it. Never tried Analog cameras as it seems like "older technology" but I may be mistaken?

CAN ANYONE RECCOMEND SOME GOOD BRAND/MODEL OF CAMERAS OR BTTV CAPTURE CARDS?
Really depends on what you want, an IP cam can have better resolution than any CCTV cam on a capture card, and most are the same if not a little bit better but with IP cams there is a definite trend of you get what you pay for. Most all Axis cams work right out of the box with ZM including PTZ controls and both snapshot and MJPEG streams work with these cams. They are certainly my choice when I have one.
Sierradump

Post by Sierradump »

Hey I really appreciate your input... For what it is worth I do use nothing but AXIS cams with our Connexed.com subscription at our ski resort (where I work)...

But for this poor lady's grocery store, she just doesn't have the budget for that many cameras...

I am thinking of going with the TrendNet IP400 series...

Another question:

The store currently utilizes a cheap "walmart TV/VCR combo CCTV unit". The video is pretty fluid/smooth on this unit. Owner likes to watch the kids in the candy isle since they rob/steal candy all the time. It's just like watching TV - very smooth/fluid.

With an IP Cam and Zoneminder will the video be choppy/jerky in the montage view? If someone were to wave their hand in front of the camera, would it be fluid or would their be some loss (i.e. strobe light effect)

The reason I ask is I would hate to implement this system and then not catch that PERFECT SHOT of the thief because the camera FPS were too slow?

Again I really appreciate the input here.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

At that price point, BTTV and analog. The Trendnet cameras will not be smooth.
SlovakJoe

Post by SlovakJoe »

I just put together a system for $1,000. Here are all the gory details:

jozefnagy.com/content/christmas_comes_early_geek_new_zoneminder_server_parts

Camera Setup

* 1 usb webcam, 10 FPS, 320x240
* 2 analog B&W cameras, 15 FPS, 640x480
* 1 analog B&W camera, 30 FPS, 640x480

System Specs

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz LGA 775 Wolfdale 1333MHz FSB
* Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
* Video Card: Cheapest name brand (Asus) PCIx x16 video card you can buy. Hey, it's a server.
* RAM: 2x 2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
* Power Supply: Thermaltake 750W ATX12V / EPS12V. This is a monster of a power supply.
* UPS: APC 1500 VA 750 Watt battery backup
* Video Encoder: Hauppauge ImpactVCB Video Capture Card 558 PCI
* Video Encoder: BlueCherry PV-149 - 4 port video capture card (120FPS)
* A single 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive for the operating system and a few fans
* Mid-size ATX case

Total Cost = $1110

Additional Components

* Various hard drives dedicated to storing the ZoneMinder data

That's overkill for your needs. In my case, there will be more analog cameras added in the future and the customer wants high frame rates.
jan

Post by jan »

Joe, your customer wants higher framerates but doesn't mind the interlacing in a 640x480 analog signal? or has that issue been addressed somehow?

back on topic, I think the Vivotek IP7138 megapixel netcam for around $275 is a great deal. although you only get 7.5fps at 1280x1024, most megapixel netcams cost triple so its hard to compare. i found this demo: http://60.248.39.151:1025/cgi-bin/viewer/video.jpg user/pass: demo/demo and the picture quality looks good. I will certainly consider it in my next zoneminder setup.