Help before ordering hardware.

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
nstamoul

Help before ordering hardware.

Post by nstamoul »

Hallo everyone.

I want to set up a surveillance system for a friend of mine and since I am a newbie at this I have some questions regarding the setup.

I want to use 4 cameras to effectively monitor the site.So here is my first question.Do I use a 4 camera kit of the shelf or do I buy 4 separate camera/receiver sets?The obvious way is a complete set but I would like to have your opinion on that.

Next is my biggest blurry spot on the whole setup.I have searched through ebay and I have seen many camera sets.Most of the receivers have one or two video outputs.But since I need to monitor all 4 cameras at the same time how is this possible with only one a/v output.The only kit I have seen that has 4 A/V outputs is this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-4-Camera-D ... s=72%3A570

So is this the case,do I really need a 4 A/V output receiver in order to be able to see all 4 cameras at the same time?Are there any more sets like the one on ebay listed above?Any recommendations here?

Lets say I got my wireless camera stuff working and it comes down to getting it to work with zoneminder.I have something like this in mind http://store.bluecherry.net/4_port_vide ... pv-149.htm

***Newbie question alert***
Do the connectors from the wireless receiver match?I see a lot of capture cards with a different kind of receiver,like this one http://store.bluecherry.net/v/vspfiles/ ... 43Na-2.jpg where the connectors definitely don't match.Do I just use an adapter or is it more complicated than that?
What about sound? I don't see any sound inputs on that card.

I think that's enough questions for now.Any help would be greatly appreciated since without it I am not going to be able to do this :P

I might be in the wrong section here.Feel free to move this to Hardware Queries :P
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

Zoneminder doesn't support audio.

As far as the ebay setup you would need 4 x RCA -> BNC adapter which is available as a option on that product page.

Each camera would need a receiver...it appears that receiver is a four port receiver so you should be fine
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
nstamoul

Post by nstamoul »

How about if I use 4 separate camera/receiver sets?Would there be trouble with interference or something since they operate at the same frequency?I know there are channels when you are using the band but what about individual sets?
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

I like wire. It is solid. It is low maintenance. Keep in mind that I also make a living doing WiFi at hotels, so when I say I hate wireless, I have experience hating it. :twisted:
nstamoul

Post by nstamoul »

I know what you mean.I 've been a member of my city's wireless network since ... forever.

However its not always possible or aesthetically good to have 100m wires laying around ;)
SlovakJoe

Post by SlovakJoe »

Lee Sharp wrote:I like wire. It is solid. It is low maintenance. Keep in mind that I also make a living doing WiFi at hotels, so when I say I hate wireless, I have experience hating it. :twisted:
Does that involve setting up open switches? There's nothing more fun than plugging into a wired or wireless network at a hotel that's poorly configured. Open up a good packet sniffer like ethereal and have a feast on every suckers' private information.

I kid...
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

SlovakJoe wrote:
Lee Sharp wrote:I like wire. It is solid. It is low maintenance. Keep in mind that I also make a living doing WiFi at hotels, so when I say I hate wireless, I have experience hating it. :twisted:
Does that involve setting up open switches? There's nothing more fun than plugging into a wired or wireless network at a hotel that's poorly configured. Open up a good packet sniffer like ethereal and have a feast on every suckers' private information.
I actually caught someone doing and arp poisoning attack just the other day. Talked with the hotel owner and we were on the same page. Called the cops. Scared him, but no one wanted to press charges... (Other than me)