Companies using ZoneMinder?

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
mtnbkr

Companies using ZoneMinder?

Post by mtnbkr »

A client of mine is looking for an IP-camera-based DVR system to monitor 10-20 locations on a high school campus. They asked me if there were any open-source solutions, and by pure luck I ran into ZoneMinder.

I have installed ZM on my test network, and purchased an AXIS 207 camera for testing. I have been very impressed with the many professional and/or technical options and settings available within ZM and have continued to test and make changes to see what types of bandwidth and CPU processing power I might expect to need for such a solution

One non-technical question that always seems to come up in the consulting field is "yeah, that product seems OK, but who else is using it?" As if a product is better if more people use it. I usually point to Windows as an example of why that logic is wrong. :)

In any case, I have scoured the ZM site, forums etc and it seems that - like most of us geeks - the ZM coders spend more time producing quality software than they do marketing said product.

I would love to be able to tell my client(s) that "Big Company A" and "Medium Company B" use ZoneMinder. It is info like this that often puts peoples' minds at ease. Even though the cost of ZM is (can be) essentially "ZERO."

BTW, I have already explained to this client that while ZM is Open-Source, free software, they really should consider donating a significant amount of their IP-CAM-DVR project cost savings to the ZoneMinder project .

They whole-heartedly agreed since a large International Security company's IP-CAM-DVR proposal was quite expensive with regards to all aspects of this project - hardware, installation, licensing and maintenance.

Perhaps, if a client list of companies using ZoneMinder is created, this client of mine could be added as "Medium Private High School A" :)

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Keep up the great work. ZoneMinder is QUITE an impressive example of just how good open-source software can be.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Replied in PM
Phil
BobaTeaGood

Re: Companies using ZoneMinder?

Post by BobaTeaGood »

Can you kindly PM me with this info too? I am working with a few large clients, including government, and they have inquired. Thank you!