Number of Cameras

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
calixto

Number of Cameras

Post by calixto »

How feasible is it to setup ZM with 32 cameras? using which video cards?

Thanks for the heads up

Calixto
Ruler

Post by Ruler »

I have it set up with 16 using 2 spectra-8 cards. Theoretically you can use up to 4 boards in one PC, so you could use up to 32 cameras in a single machine. I'd think you'd run into problems with bus transfer speed, bandwidth, memory, etc though. You'd also need one hell of a machine, both case and motherboard, to house all that crap. (4 boards, 4 expansion cards, IDE controllers for more hard drives - right there you're talking 8 PCI slots and 4 more back slots available for the secondary input expansion boards.
This message is made up of not less than 90% recycled electrons.
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Using network cams would get around those restrictions, but introduce more in the way of cpu load.

That said, I imagine you could get 32 cams on one fairly high spec single or multiple cpu pc if you restricted the fps down to 1 or 2 per cam, went b&w and reduced image size and did record-only instead of modect.

Otoh, in my experience Zoneminder does odd things when handling > 10 cams in handling states etc, but that can be got around.