CV binary w/out Zoneminder

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
burger

CV binary w/out Zoneminder

Post by burger »

I don't see a binary that I can pipe video into and get motion detection / computer vision results from. For example, ffmpeg has its libraries (which ZM uses) and it also has the single executable which can do most (if not all) the same functions. OpenCV is only a library from what I can tell. Zoneminder does motion detection on video, but it has a php frontend, it has a database, it has perl scripts... All this extra*.

From a quick search online, I can find:

Code: Select all

DVR-scan, it's a simple python exe / interface to OpenCV, and has little in the way of parameters 
(according to the getting started). It's more proof of concept than anything else.

Motion, (motion-project.github.io). This one has motion detection, but there doesn't seem to be
 different algorithms in the modect config options. Limited as to what can be done. 
Otherwise, it would fit well.

Simplecv.org, The getting started code is so simple, as to render it unnecessary. It seems half the
 python functions could just be shell parameters. It's a bit silly. "Specify bounding box, specify
 what you want to search, set input and output". That might cover a lot of cv / detection algorithms.
 At least for testing purposes.

I know technically ffmpeg can do some drawing on video, like opencv.  
An executable that can do motion detection would allow for quick testing of motion detection types and adjustment of parameters. The goal is to pipe (live/recorded) video -> ffmpeg -> motion detection/cv tool -> output results

I wouldn't ask devs to create this, just making a note. If anyone has any insight into such tools, feel free to post here.

*extra because ZM is a security suite type of solution (cathedral), not just a motion detection solution. It's great, but wrong tool for the job here.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide