Do I run my 10 cameras in series with ethernet cable?

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
Jermo

Do I run my 10 cameras in series with ethernet cable?

Post by Jermo »

I just got some cameras and need to set them up around my property. I am going 200 feet long and 100 ft wide with six cameras. 1 in each corner and two in the middle of the 200 foot lenth. I am about to wire all these together with the source coming out of my modem and the end being the last camera. So it would basically go out my bedroom window to the fence facing north then go up that 200 ft and go south down the fence 100 feet and back down the southern facing fence 200 more feet. Then I need a couple cameras in the shop, and two more in the front yard. Since I dont want to do this w wifi due to hackers, I am doing all with cat5 cable. If anyone has any ideas how to configure this I would be very grateful to hear from you. For my computer I have a 4 gig dual core drive that I will run Linux Ubuntu. My friend is going to help me set up the linux side. For this weekend I would like to get the cameras all mounted and wired.
Gary S

Re: Do I run my 10 cameras in series with ethernet cable?

Post by Gary S »

No, ethernet never wires in series. You run a separate wire from each camera parallel to an ethernet switch.