wifi camera

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
kmrs75

wifi camera

Post by kmrs75 »

i am new in the forums but i have been around for a while.

i have set up a few systems and you all have been a great help.

well this is what i did. i went to visit my parents in Upper Peninsula Mi a bout 2 months ago. there retired and have been up there all summer. I was on my phone looking at my house and my dad was wondering what I was doing. I told him looking at my sump pump, i have had flooding issues in the past. he was amazed.

A few hours later he asked me if i could build a system for him. He didnt want a normal system he wanted a system that was portable, wireless, and there was no power. i had to ask why and what for.

he explained to me that he has gotten into shooting at the range and he shoots at 600 yard targets. even with a very good spotting scope you cant see where you hit at 600 yards. if you zoom in too much you magnify the heat waves if you zoom out you cant see the holes.
Attachments
Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-3.png (146.57 KiB) Viewed 5186 times
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (254.84 KiB) Viewed 5186 times
Last edited by kmrs75 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmrs75

Re: long distance wifi camera

Post by kmrs75 »

here is some more shots
Attachments
16Screenshot-16.png
16Screenshot-16.png (130.07 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
8Screenshot-8.png
8Screenshot-8.png (155.39 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
7Screenshot-7.png
7Screenshot-7.png (155.39 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
beiber

Re: wifi camera

Post by beiber »

Thank you for sharing such kind of weire information.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.. for tomorrow never comes.. live today!!!
JRo

Re: wifi camera

Post by JRo »

If I understand your case correctly there are no obstacles in the line of sight between the WiFi camera and the computer on the other end of the transmission line. In this case you might use directional antennas (like YAGI, "cantenna") on both ends of your transmission line. Compared to the omnidirectional antennas commonly installed on WiFi devices directional antennas focus all transmitted energy on a small area, hence increasing the range of WiFi devices considerably. Please make sure that the connecting coax cables between the antennas and the WiFi devices are as short as possible in order to minimize transmission losses in the cable. I guess using a USB extension cable with the USB-WiFi-Stick mounted directly on its antenna will give far better results than a couple of feet of coax cable between antenna and USB stick.

Directional antennas for WiFi frequencies are available commercially (e.g. ebay, amazon, ...). Using Google you will also find several DIY projects. If you want to go DIY try to find a design based on metal, as wooden parts usually change their dimensions according to humidity.

good luck!
Juergen