Camera placement and brightness...

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
rossnick

Camera placement and brightness...

Post by rossnick »

Hi !

We just moved our store a few doors in a freshlly renovated location. Before, there was carpet on the floor, and less window. My door camera was placed like this :

(see attached cam1b.jpg)

Now, there is a lot more window, and the floor is now bright vinyl tiles. There is also more fluorescent lighting on the ceiling. So, the result is this :

(see attached cam1a.jpg)

The image is too bright. I tried to bring down the brightness of the camera a little bit, but then we don't see as much the people walk by.

So first off, is my camera placed correctly ? Should I move it to the left to have less window coverage ? I can move id a few feet, but not much. After that I won't have any wall to support it. I could mount it on the ceiling, but it would be higher (about a feet higher, suspended ceilings are 9').

Thanks,
Attachments
Image in new store
Image in new store
cam1a.jpg (19.25 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
Image on old store.
Image on old store.
cam1b.jpg (37.79 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
kross

Re: Camera placement and brightness...

Post by kross »

I think the best location for the camera would be in a location where the window would be to the camera's back. Not only will this eliminate the overexposure, it will allow you to get pictures of people's faces lit better. In the current location, the backlighting will cause people's faces to be in silhouette, even if you lower the exposure compensation on the camera (if it has such ability).

My second choice, if the first choice isn't possible, would be to put the camera on the left or right wall, instead of the back wall, so that the window isn't in the camera's field of view.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin
kingofkya

Re: Camera placement and brightness...

Post by kingofkya »

Also if it a professorial grade camera simply adjust the iris. or get a auto iris lens for it.

IF not well you get what you pay for.

Like this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/COSTAR-CCC3400-CCTV ... 531wt_1152