Watching ZM on iPAD

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
kp4djt

Watching ZM on iPAD

Post by kp4djt »

Have any of you tried to look at ZM using a iPAD. I tried it yesterday at a Apple demo, and
was unable to see the video on my system. I would just fail. I was kind of hoping that it would
work as the iPAD would be a nice device to log into a remote ZM system and show people
what ZM can do. But if it will not show the video it is useless.

I know that Apple does not support FLASH but it also appears that they may not support
Java or these things were missing something.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
ZM demo www.wchast.com/zm
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

It will most likely work with the still jpegs only use mobile interface.

add "index.php?skin=mobile" to it
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

Yes, I wanted to try it but could not remember the line... I will go back with it and test it out, still I wanted to see real video on it, that is what impresses people. I was under the impression that Apple only disallowed FLASH. Their box, their code, so guess they can do what they want with it... Just sorta sux though...
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Also you maybe able to get what apple thinks is standard with html5 +h26 whatever it is.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

H 264... I see that most all of the DVR boxes support it now.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
SpinozaQ

Post by SpinozaQ »

ipad and iphones implement the HTTP Live stream apple stuff. It's more then just H264 .

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/libra ... ction.html

It involves breaking up the video into mpeg ts segments and having a changing play list that exposes the new segments as they become available. The HTML 5 browser support for this even allows for multiple bandwidth levels. The problem with live streams is generally the amount of CPU power needed to encode all those streams.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

So then I assume that some work has to be done on ZM in order to view it on these devices?
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
protrex

Post by protrex »

I've used my ZM 1.24.2 instance on an iPad without issues. All functions appear to work correctly.

-Jamie
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

I tried it on several of them and was able to get all but the video.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
magooslum

Works fine: ZM 1.24.2 on iPad / iPhone

Post by magooslum »

It works fine for me using the iPhone and iPad but didn't with the default settings. The image wouldn't animate with the default settings because there is no Java provisions (for cambozola.jar).

So I did this in the "Options" within the "Images" tab:

Set CAN_STREAM to YES (auto mode fails on iPhone/iPad)
UNcheck OPT_CAMBOZOLA
Cleared the field for PATH_CAMBOZOLA
Set STREAM_METHOD as jpeg (is already by default but mpeg does not work for iPhone/iPad)

For some reason I had to clear the path for cambozola otherwise it seemed to try using it even though the option to use it was unchecked. Possibly that was a misconception by me because I can't reproduce it now but still I mention it just in case.

Anyway... now opening the web page and viewing a monitor or montage of cameras works great. Everything is animated just like on my desktop machine.

Realize that many bleeding-edge Mac folks would prefer that this all be done using HTML5 since it provides for streaming animations... but know that what exists currently (ZM v1.24.2) seems to work just fine.[/b]
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

OK, this looks like I may need to run two instances of ZM, one for the folks that need
cambozola, and the other to access from Apple devices (Mac seems to work just fine)
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
SpinozaQ

Post by SpinozaQ »

The biggest problem with using MJPEG on the apple devices is the amount of bandwidth needed for even a single camera with a reasonable frame rate. I have tested H264 and HTTP streaming to an iphone / ipad by using a stream right off the camera and running it through ffmpeg and a segmenter program.

What I would like to do is write something that can use the zone minder jpg files on disk, and perhaps the database to construct H264 mpeg ts segments on the fly for zoneminder cameras. That way no extra connection is needed, and ffmpeg doesn't need to run unless someone is viewing the camera.
rustle

Post by rustle »

Ipad Acts the same as the iPhone or iTouch for montage view and every thing else.
My iPhone can montage 8 cameras where my iPad can only handle 6 of them... Never loads all the way with the ipad.

go to options ...and then Images

On the Images tab Select CAN_Stream Yes
ON the Stream_method select jpeg
rustle

Post by rustle »

Here is a great resource for bugs with iPad http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... 2_Bugfixes

update : I get all 8 cameras with the mobile log in on the pad but they are small thumbnails and really worthless.. )
bratz

EyeZM requires ZM 1.24.3??

Post by bratz »

Hi,
i run Zoneminder 1.24.2 and i thought it was the last version. Now i am looking for an affordable Iphone/Ipad app and i found EyeZM. But on their requirements page, they indicate (http://www.eyezm.com/help/?ver=current):
"In order for the eyeZm app and XML Plugin to work successfully on your ZM installation, the following requirements must be met:

* ZoneMinder 1.24.x (1.24.3+ recommended)....."

I anyone aware of a 1.24.3 version? I tzhought 1.24.2 was the last and this is confirmed when i check in my ZM.