Pre Configured ZM box

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
kingofkya

Pre Configured ZM box

Post by kingofkya »

I was price some stuff out on newegg the other day and a cctv DVR system poped up almost $800 for it 4 cameras and i know how great the "cheap" DVRs are most have very hard to use and glitch filled software. That has the auto reboot as a feature.:roll: Then I priced out a PC that can run 2x4 port capture card 60 fps but still how much do you need. So I came to a grand total with shipping at $260. + time so lets say its a $300 dvr pc.
Spec:
Amd seperon 2.7ghz(overkill for this but its the cheapest amd you can buy)
1gb of ram (very excessive for this FPS/Channles)
500gb drive
2pci 4 port capture 30 fps each
generic black tower

So my question is why is no one selling zm dvr?

Granted there would be some interface overhall needed to make zm idiot prof. Meaning hiding most of the settings. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

We tried... Zoneminder needs quite a bit of babysitting.

1) Table Frames is corrupted... This happens every reboot, it seams. All the time anyway, and it needs intervention to fix.

2) Config is non-trivial.

3) There is no automatic screen. Customers want to turn it on and see pictures without doing anything. We hacked something up with xlib-shm, but it would freeze occasionally, then the customer would reboot it, and go to point 1...

4) No sound, no click on a screen in montage to zoom, and "How does this search work again?" round out the objections.

That all said, this could be done. The inodedb patch could fix problem 1, which is huge! Skins might fix number 2. Xlib-shm kinda works, and could be made more stable. And if not, reboots no longer cause 1...

In other words, it is doable, and if you are interested, PM me. I still do not like our current (closed source) solution, (Which has changed twice in the last 6 months) but the non-techs do.
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

Lee Sharp,

Regarding 1, I had it all the time there was a power outage but i found a solution and since then all great, you can read my thread here:
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15473
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

Lee Sharp wrote:We tried... Zoneminder needs quite a bit of babysitting.

1) Table Frames is corrupted... This happens every reboot, it seams. All the time anyway, and it needs intervention to fix.

2) Config is non-trivial.

3) There is no automatic screen. Customers want to turn it on and see pictures without doing anything. We hacked something up with xlib-shm, but it would freeze occasionally, then the customer would reboot it, and go to point 1...

4) No sound, no click on a screen in montage to zoom, and "How does this search work again?" round out the objections.

That all said, this could be done. The inodedb patch could fix problem 1, which is huge! Skins might fix number 2. Xlib-shm kinda works, and could be made more stable. And if not, reboots no longer cause 1...

In other words, it is doable, and if you are interested, PM me. I still do not like our current (closed source) solution, (Which has changed twice in the last 6 months) but the non-techs do.
These concerns along with Zoneminder not having a (easily accessible) support solution is the main problems for selling Zoneminder boxes.

If you plan to do installations and sell a surveillance system you really are going to have to find a commercially supported package. Zoneminder is great for home use or as a tinker toy box, but there's too many things that can go wrong outside of Zoneminder's direct control (an upgrade to a library could kill Zoneminder's ability to record, mysql could put the tables into a crash state).

A GUI interface, audio support and support are really what customers want, at least that's what I hear all day long.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

The other thing I have noticed is if there a desktop client the web client must match or the user get confused. A low tech option is to use ie frame in virtural basic to fake a desktop gui. Still hypothetical for now, but with the people submit the mass amount of patches recently I think the little bugs will soon be fixed and hopefully make this more viable.

Edit:
Another absolute must for support is to have it send a heartbeat to a main server and give it a service tag for remote support. That would be most tricky as far as nat and other crap that gets in the way.

and as far as upgrades go tiny core and puppy linux have the right idea. run the os and applications in the ram. Because for upgrades all you have to do is swap the image file which could be done live then rebooted.

Also the languages i am proficient in are python and php. I wonder how well python will hold up showing images on the screen. If i have some free time will make a proof of concept viewer.