Linux "Plug Computer" for $99 - many possibilities

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
Blazer

Linux "Plug Computer" for $99 - many possibilities

Post by Blazer »

I just ordered a "plug computer" from here: http://www.marvell.com/products/embedde ... vaplug.jsp

It is basically a tiny 1.2Ghz linux PC with a Gigabit ethernet and USB 2.0 connection. I'm thinking it could easily be used to plug in a USB camera and along with mjpeg-streamer turn it into a cheap network cam. It may also be possible to connect a small USB hub and connect both a USB camera and a USB wireless ethernet adapter, and turn your USB camera into a completely wireless network camera.

Heck, if you supplemented the storage via USB, you could even run a full fledged zoneminder instance right on this plug computer.

I've just ordered one (they are only $99), and will perform some tests and report back how it goes.
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

I really need to get a sticky with what I'm trying to do. First off you'll need to get a Linux 2.6 Kernel running on it to even get UVC and Mjpg_streamer. You could have saved yourself some time and bought a $60 dollar NSLU2 off Ebay or Amazon or went a step further and Spent $60 on certain ASUS routers and you could have had something possible of Wireless Client bridge mode, 2 usb Camera's at the same time, 2.6 kernel, mjpg_streamer, wireless hotspot money making setup, usb hard drive or usb stick for storing data, VPN phone back to your remote Zoneminder server, and on and on.

I'll look into this device, but I've got something cheaper and almost as powerful, the "routerstation". If you need any help let me know, but this is exactly what I've been trying to get out to people and now it looks like it's catching on. I have an extra Linksys NSLU2 for sale if your interested that has automatic scrips that will detect up to two camera's, turn them on and start feeds on two differnet ports. It works perfect with Zoneminder and another user in the forums also has one and can verify it does work perfect. He had his running at 970x something amazing resolution.

I know my other forum name "fosterchild11" is alittle lame, but you can see most of my work here. :)

http://oregonmicroscience.com/hotspotfo ... m.php?f=37
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

It does run a 2.6 kernel in fact Ubuntu Jaunty distro, so probably already has the uvcvideo module. I will post more once I start experimenting with it. The solution you are using (routers running linux in firmware) are probably cheapest for using strictly as a network camera. I think this plug pc could be used for lots of other applications though where more power (cpu) is required.

Cool that you got the Orbit AF working...I have one of those on a shelf that I have not tried to use yet.

Which would you suggest for plugging a quickcam 9000 into?
newvisionantenna

The 9000 works just the same, amazing quality by the way out of that camera.

I'll have to take a look at that little machine then, might play into my idea.

Something worth it's own post, I now probably have the world's either smallest or cheapest Debian Zoneminder server. I have the WL500W ASUS router that cost about $80 booting and running a full install of Debian from a memory stick. It's a custom Openwrt kernel and a complete Debian image running off my 4 GB memory stick. I'll get back with you today or tomorrow and let you know if 250mhz and 32mb or ram is enought to get atleast one feed going, lol.
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

Hah cool. The plug computer should definitely be able to run an instance of ZM since it is 1.2Ghz. Only 512MB of RAM though so might have to use nmap mode instead of shared memory for the monitors. I will do lots of testing once I get my dev unit. One thing that is appearling is the sheevaplug only draws 5w of power, which is way way less than a typical server with a 300w PS would use! :)
souverain

Post by souverain »

and the OS would be installed in the USB?
Blazer wrote:Hah cool. The plug computer should definitely be able to run an instance of ZM since it is 1.2Ghz. Only 512MB of RAM though so might have to use nmap mode instead of shared memory for the monitors. I will do lots of testing once I get my dev unit. One thing that is appearling is the sheevaplug only draws 5w of power, which is way way less than a typical server with a 300w PS would use! :)
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

It has onboard NAND Flash filesystem (read/write) that the OS is on. You can add more storage space via USB either for example a large flash drive, or USB hdd.
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

BTW the price on these is supposed to drop to $49. Already some place is selling them for $79 (http://www.pogoplug.com/) but has their custom software on it (which you can reflash to normal linux).
souverain

Post by souverain »

Thanks.

Let me know if you can get a full blown zm running on it (and what the config and performance is).

Blazer wrote:It has onboard NAND Flash filesystem (read/write) that the OS is on. You can add more storage space via USB either for example a large flash drive, or USB hdd.
souverain

sheevaplug zm

Post by souverain »

Did you get this working with ZM?

If so, can you share documentation/how-to/use case scenario (or we just have to re-invent the wheel :(

Thanks
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I will definitely post an update.
I fully expect ZM would work fine on it, although since only 1.2Ghz there is probably only enough CPU for a couple of cameras, maybe more if lower resolution is used.
souverain

Post by souverain »

I also ordered one and will get it this week.

Will post how if it works.

For one of these plugs, I am looking at supporting just 3 cameras.
newvisionantenna

I'll have to go ahead and grab one of these. Even if Zoneminder doesn't work I'm sure Motion and mjpg_streamer will. I've got Motion working on my router setup and pretty much have a self contained security system without even using zoneminder.

edit: I just ordered one myself and it said shipping not expected till late this month. I guess we'll all get it about the same time. In the meantime I'm putting up a store front to sell these custom security routers after I make everything automatic. I'm thinking of making my own GUI for motion so if people don't want to mess with zm then the router can do everything itself. I've also got openvpn working on all of it so all the camera streams are going through a secure tunnel :)
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Blazer wrote:Only 512MB of RAM though so might have to use nmap mode instead of shared memory for the monitors.
One thing to be aware of is that mapped memory is still memory (ie RAM), it's just usually in filesystem (tmpfs) format. You would not really want to mmap onto regular filesystems if you can help it.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing how you get on with these devices when they finally turn up. :)
Phil
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

I got email today saying that it shipped! I'm excited! :-)