New to Linux but want to build a CCTV system for Home

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
snake61

New to Linux but want to build a CCTV system for Home

Post by snake61 »

Brand New to Linux-well, recent Linux. Tinkered with it about 8 years ago-used Mandrake and Caldera. Have an old computer, 1.3 g processor, 512MB RAM, don't know video card and 40 GB HD. Have two extra 160 and 250 GB HDs. Want to use the computer to make a home CCTV system since we've had some encroachments in the past several weeks.

Would anyone be so kind, and patient to assist me in setting this up. I would appreciate what version of Linux to use, e.g., Redhat, Mandrake, etc, and I plan on trying the ZoneMinder. I also plan on first trying an inexpensive 4 channel card from Blue Cherry. After I get everything up and running, I will surely up grade to top of the line equip, but I figure while in the R&D phase, little out as possible. What do I need to upgrade on the computer. Will definitely erase the Windows XP!

Any help and great patients would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
cordel

Post by cordel »

First there really in no one better distro, it's like getting a beer, whatever suits your personal taste. The current LiveCD runs on Mandriva (used to be Mandrake) and would be a simple start or you can request Bluecherries Zoneminder CD when you place your order. Those would be the simplest if you don't know much Linux.
Other wise there are packages available for Suse, Debian, and Fedora if you want to have a bit more control over whats installed.
snake61

New to Linux...

Post by snake61 »

Cordel-tnx much. What about computer resources I currently have on hand-will that suffice for now? CPU speed 1.3g, 512MB RAM, etc.? Only going to use one analog camera at this point in time to get my feet wet and get in trouble, but computer will be solely dedicated to this and will not be used for anything else.
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
cordel

Post by cordel »

Should work fine for playing, and likely fine for your home setup.
Resources required increase with framerate, image size (although capture cards best size is 320x240, any larger and you get into interlacing), and weather or not you use analysis. Make sure you readup on the various post regrading capture cards. ex. a single chip card (single device) needs to have all inputs configured the same (size, and palette), and your over all frame rate is shared between all inputs. A single device using all four inputs will get you 3 to 5 fps on each input.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

I would say that Ubuntu, and the Ubuntu forums are the most nubie friendly of all the linux distributions. But if the local Linux geek you know is a Fedora fan, go with what he will help you with.
snake61

Mac user new to Linux

Post by snake61 »

Have a MacBook with Intell processor. Currently have Mac OS X, and Windows XP-not by choice-can I load Linux on the same computer? Couldn't find any topics through a search of the forums.
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
cordel

Post by cordel »

You will be able to find more about Linux distros and support for those distros through their own forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org/
http://forum.mandriva.com/
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/
http://fedoraforum.org/
http://forums.debian.net/

They would support installation and anything specific to themselves. We really only primarily deal with Zoneminder specific stuff here.

You can also find towards the bottom of this thread more links with more information like howto's and such.
SlovakJoe

Know your needs first

Post by SlovakJoe »

I JUST built a production system yesterday. My choice of distro used to be Fedora or CentOS. But for the last few years I've been using Kubuntu for my desktop and Ubuntu on various small servers so that's what I'm most comfortable with. It comes down to things like the package managers that you prefer and other little things like that.

Here's a full writeup of the parts including pictures and links to newegg where I bought them all from:
http://www.jozefnagy.com/content/christ ... rver_parts

[Man, I wish I bought it all from Amazon and could make some money off referrals. Don't worry though, the links in my blog post I make $0 off of.]

System Specs

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz LGA 775 Wolfdale 1333MHz FSB
* Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
* Video Card: Cheapest name brand (Asus) PCIx x16 video card you can buy. Hey, it's a server.
* RAM: 2x 2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
* Power Supply: Thermaltake 750W ATX12V / EPS12V. This is a monster of a power supply.
* UPS: APC 1500 VA 750 Watt battery backup
* Video Encoder: Hauppauge ImpactVCB Video Capture Card 558 PCI
* Video Encoder: BlueCherry PV-149 - 4 port video capture card (120FPS)
* A single 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive for the operating system and a few fans
* Mid-size ATX case

Total Cost = $1110

Additional Components
* Various hard drives dedicated to storing the ZoneMinder data

It is recording the following:
*1 usb webcam 10 FPS 320x240
*2 analog B&W cameras 15 FPS 640x480
*1 analog B&Y camera 30 FPS 640x480

This system currently has a load of roughly 3. For a dual core CPU that's a stable system.
snake61

New to Linux...but ZM on PCLOS

Post by snake61 »

Thanks for the hardware list and the suggested *nix package.

I tried a recommended version for newbies and after 11 days, I still did not have ZM up and running. Could be because I was so new to the OS. However, in mid stream, even after all I had learned and accomplished I switched to the ZMlinxu2008 using PCLOS-and in 23 minutes I had it installed. Another 28 minutes resolving an issue 143 I purchased and I had ZM up and running. It took me another three or so hours to get an Axis IP camera up and running-but that was an issue with the RealTek 8139 card.

Overall, I give the latest LiveCD release put together by Ross to be outstanding for newbies.

I was somewhat disappointed but not shocked that the 143 capture card I purchased may only work one channel at a time-So far from what I have read, that may be just an issue with Windows, but I haven't found anything saying anything different for *nix. I kind of figured there was something wrong with the card at that price-after all who would want to by a four channel card and yet only be allowed to monitor one channel at a time?

It always pays to read the fine print. But if you don't know, you really dont' know what to look for or ask for and can be taken advantage of.

Lesson learned.

Although this was a test system- a computer I put together for my son four years ago, it works great! It only has a 1.06GHz Sempron processor, 256MDRam, GeForce 4000 card, Realtek 8139 NIC, 80Gb HDD, P143 Capture Card (BT838 chipset), and cheap box analog camera, and an Axis 211a IP camera. I had the analog camera set for max at 15fps, and the IP set for max at 30fps. Both were very good, IP was best.

And in computer terms, this is a clunker, but didn't use any more than 43% CPU, and 17% memory, can't say for certain, but I think a load of 1.7???????

Lastly, I may be new to *nix, and not a programer, but one thing for sure is that ZoneMinder is one helluva video recording/analytics software that appears to have every conceivable function covered. These guys did a tremendous and great job.
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
SlovakJoe

Re: New to Linux...but ZM on PCLOS

Post by SlovakJoe »

snake61 wrote:And in computer terms, this is a clunker, but didn't use any more than 43% CPU, and 17% memory, can't say for certain, but I think a load of 1.7???????
Can you please double check your average load? If the CPU is at 43%, the load can't be 1.7, it should be lot lower. Granted, CPU is only 1 of other factors that get calculated in load, but that number just doesn't seem right. If it is, then call me a monkey's uncle.
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

snake61 wrote:
I was somewhat disappointed but not shocked that the 143 capture card I purchased may only work one channel at a time-So far from what I have read, that may be just an issue with Windows, but I haven't found anything saying anything different for *nix. I kind of figured there was something wrong with the card at that price-after all who would want to by a four channel card and yet only be allowed to monitor one channel at a time?

It always pays to read the fine print. But if you don't know, you really dont' know what to look for or ask for and can be taken advantage of.

Lesson learned.

You have to access all four ports using this method for the PV-143:

/dev/video0 Channel 0 = port 1
/dev/video0 Channel 1 = port 2
/dev/video0 Channel 2 = port 3
/dev/video0 Channel 3 = port 4
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
SlovakJoe

Post by SlovakJoe »

curtishall wrote: You have to access all four ports using this method for the PV-143:

That's funny, because on my PV-149 it's the following:

/dev/video0 Channel 0
/dev/video1 Channel 0
/dev/video2 Channel 0
/dev/video3 Channel 0
cordel

Post by cordel »

SlovakJoe wrote:
curtishall wrote: You have to access all four ports using this method for the PV-143:

That's funny, because on my PV-149 it's the following:

/dev/video0 Channel 0
/dev/video1 Channel 0
/dev/video2 Channel 0
/dev/video3 Channel 0
That is the difference between a 149 and a 143. The 143 is a single chip and 149 is a 4 chips, Hence one device vs. four.
SlovakJoe

Post by SlovakJoe »

That distinction took me a while to wrap my head around when I first started w/ ZoneMinder.
snake61

NEW to Linux...but ZM on PCLOS

Post by snake61 »

To the specifics, I am on the road and specified the load and possible CPU usage, may have been over stated, but close. When I get home I can give you the "exact" numbers". and will if interested.

As for the 143-interesting how the info comes out when you, not bad mouth, but not actually endorse the card. If you note, didn't even id the seller, but the response was from.....

Again, I have yet to try multiple connections with an analog camera, but I'll see, especially now that an answer has been provided for the potential problem. we'll see. Hmmmm. interesting to see other have the same question I had, but different work around.

Squeky wheel gets the grease.
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux