Keeping timelines clear of events during business hours?

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
rockandroller

Keeping timelines clear of events during business hours?

Post by rockandroller »

OK, I've been reading the (excellent) documentation, and also been searching the forums til I am blue in the eyeballs, but I still am not sure what to do here.

I have 7 cams set to modect and a pretty powerful (8 cores) CentOS7 ZM machine with 18 gigs of RAM and 2TB of diskspace.
So far, so good with the basic setup.

But now it's time for filtering: In general, I do not want to record any events during regular business hours.
All of our monitors have a lot of action all day long!
I am sure this is a very common use-case, so I was hoping someone could post a basic example that I can use as a template...

It looks to me like ZM by default just records everything, so instead of "blocking event creating for time periods", I instead just let it roll, and at the periodic filter run interval, have a filter ( set to 'background') that starts deleting everything that isn't in my "time-frame-of-interest"??

I suppose that I have plenty of hard drive space, so probably I could leave the "previous day's" business hour events up for 48 hours, in the unlikely event that something during business hours THAT DAY might be worth having a look at and archiving. (example, an accident in the parking lot)

And anyway, certainly I'll be setting some email alarms - and for sure those should not be going off during office hours.
So an example of 'best practice' for this sort of timing filter would be extremely useful...
SteveGilvarry

Re: Keeping timelines clear of events during business hours?

Post by SteveGilvarry »

OK so you want monitors to be set to Monitor or None during the day and then Modect at a specified time? You use states to save monitors when they are on and another to save them when they are off, then use cron to change states on schedule.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24547

http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/sta ... ay-or-week
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
rockandroller

Re: Keeping timelines clear of events during business hours?

Post by rockandroller »

Thanks!! ( I don't know how I missed reading that...)