Limitations of the TrendNet TV-IP572PI

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
lpallard

Limitations of the TrendNet TV-IP572PI

Post by lpallard »

Hello,

last time I posted on this forum, I never got any replies. That was for an older model of camera but now on newegg.ca the TrendNet TV-IP572PI is $90CAD cheaper than usual which now makes this model a potential candidate to use with Zoneminder.

Basically, the Zoneminder's wiki says that the TV-IP572PI is supported but the notes are saying:

"The TV-IP572PI is a wired network only indoor camera that supports night viewing mode (to 7.5 meters) with 4 IR LED's. (The IP-572P does not have the night viewing mode, but is otherwise identical). It supports RTSP but I have not yet gotten that to work. It supports 1280x800 simple HTTP image capture using:

Source Type: Remote
Remote Protocol: HTTP
Remote Method: Simple
Remote Host Name: user:pass@<IP Address of Camera>
Remote Host Port: 80
Remote Host Path: /image/jpeg.cgi
It supports motion jpeg MJPEG at the following URL, but my ZoneMinder wouldn't work with it (but the Firefox browser from Mozilla does)

Remote Host Path: video/mjpg.cgi"

Now I am not sure of the details since I am not a video guru. When it is said that:

"It supports RTSP but I have not yet gotten that to work"

What are the implications of that? RTSP means "Real Time Streaming Protocol" so does it mean that I will most likely not be able to view in real time what the camera sees??

If so, thats a show stopper.

Also,

"It supports 1280x800 simple HTTP image capture using.."

does it mean that I will only be able to store static images and not video streams??

Finally,

"It supports motion jpeg MJPEG at the following URL, but my ZoneMinder wouldn't work with it (but the Firefox browser from Mozilla does)"

I dont understand this statement. Its said that Zoneminder doesnt work with motion JPEG but Firefox does.. If ZM does not work with MJPEG, why would the browser work with it?

Basically, I am seeking a camera capable of a decent image quality (at least 1024x768), and capable of working with capturing images, recording videos, and use most (preferably all) of ZM's functions. No need for pan & tilt, and night vision is a plus but not mandatory.

Has anyone on this forum tried this model of camera? Any feedback? I would appreciate anything to get me started..

Thank and I appreciate anybody's efforts!

P.S.: Sorry for not using the quote tags. For whatever reasons they are not rendering and are only appearing in the text body as [quote] & [/quote] which clutters the text.
TheKorn

Re: Limitations of the TrendNet TV-IP572PI

Post by TheKorn »

Please note that I don't have experience with your camera. But I do have a TV-IP672PI, which looks to be the TV-IP572PI + pan & tilt. So I think my experience may be helpful.
lpallard wrote:When it is said that:

"It supports RTSP but I have not yet gotten that to work"

What are the implications of that?
Not much, actually! It doesn't mean that you will not be able to get a live view off of the camera. RTSP is a protocol that's designed for streaming, but that doesn't mean that a camera that lacks it can't stream... it just means that it uses another method. For example, I own two D-link DCS-5010L cameras, and they only stream over HTTP, not RTSP. I can get live views off of them no problem.
lpallard wrote:"It supports 1280x800 simple HTTP image capture using.."

does it mean that I will only be able to store static images and not video streams??
No, it just means that should you want to capture only a single frame from that camera (not really sure why you'd want to do that), here's how you would go about it.
lpallard wrote:"It supports motion jpeg MJPEG at the following URL, but my ZoneMinder wouldn't work with it (but the Firefox browser from Mozilla does)"

I dont understand this statement. Its said that Zoneminder doesnt work with motion JPEG but Firefox does.. If ZM does not work with MJPEG, why would the browser work with it?
Beats me! Might be some snafu particular to his firefox (such as an extension or widget). Haven't had that happen with my TV-IP672PI.

Hope that helps!

(BTW, I updated the wiki with instructions for the 672PI. I expect they'd work for the 572PI as well.)