Raspberry Pi

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
Flasheart

Raspberry Pi

Post by Flasheart »

I ordered one a couple of months ago, and it finally turned up today. Not really sure what I intended to do with it, but I put the recommended raspbian Debian image on there from the website.

A few seconds later and I've got a working linux server. No graphical output (I don't have anything that fits hdmi or the other video out), just ssh'd in on the dhcp'd IP and it's running.

A bit of messing around and I thought I'd see if Zoneminder was in the package list. It was. A few minutes after that, I have a fully working Zoneminder system.

"sudo -s" to get root.

Setup was as simple as: "apt-get install zoneminder"

It's version 1.25, and no messing around with shared memory. It just works.

Get this, IT JUST WORKED!

Very well packaged, shame 1.25 still isn't in mainstream Debian yet.

I added a camera recording at 3fps in colour at 640x480. The PI's load climbed rapidly and I quickly ran "zmpkg.pl stop" to recover. I then changed the FPS to 1 and tried again... and it's working like a charm. Load of 0.5.

At most, downloading aside, you could have a fully working zoneminder server on a £30 micro PC the size of a bumpy credit card in about ten minutes. Impressive.
zSeries

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by zSeries »

Hi Flasheart, what camera did you use with the pi?
Thanks.
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

Actually, a feed off another zoneminder - but it doesn't matter what camera provided it works with zm.
capetownlad

Post by capetownlad »

Hi Flasheart
Using the Pi with zoneminder was an idea I had been thinking of so very pleased to hear you've done it!
Did you do any recording? If so, what did/can you record to?